Often, especially if left unchecked, bullying escalates into sexual abuse.
And the statistics are alarming:
- 1 in 4 youths are bullied and over 70 percent report bullying as an ongoing problem
- Every seven minutes a child is bullied at school
- 160,000 children miss school each day for fear of being bullied
- 49 states now have laws addressing bullying
Studies have shown that when not interrupted, bullying can lead to sexual abuse—bullying language becomes sexually explicit and physical aggression becomes sexual assault. Simply ignoring bullying won’t make it go away, and youth-serving programs know bullying can expose their organization to civil and criminal liability.
Fortunately, many of the same strategies that reduce your organization’s risk of sexual abuse can also reduce bullying. Praesidium’s bullying prevention services include:
- Bullying prevention policies and procedures
- Armatus® online course, “How to Prevent Bullying”
- Onsite training workshops for employees and volunteers
- Educational materials for parents and youths
Contact us to learn more about preventing bullying in your organization.